Friday, August 21, 2009

Sports blog!

Fall approaches.

That bodes good things for me. My two favorite sports are about to start, and this year will likely be the best ever (for me, not those sports). Football starts in a matter of weeks, while hockey starts in October.

Now that I'm active on the UGA campus, I've been hit with a cinder block of hysterical college football anticipation. I ordered a season ticket package ($48, bitches!), but due to my "transfer student" status, I'll likely only get half a season. And they won't be the exciting games either. Hello, Tennessee Tech, Kentucky and Arizona State!

But any ticket's a good ticket, since I've never been to a game in my entire life. Ah, the perks of being a student.

I have a pretty good feeling about this season. Like a lot of SEC teams, we have constant "turnover" framework and perennial recruiting classes that lead us to expect a decent season of at least eight or nine wins, as usual. Barring a slew of injuries (again), we're hearing second in the SEC East and a likely Capital One appearance again.

But I like to think of this season as redemption. Last year, Georgia was preseason No. 1, and ESPN and every other national sports network was getting off to the offense, the superstars, blah blah blah. Then injuries came, Tebow and his brigade surged, and we slipped. Sub-par to preseason impressions, but Jesus (the real one, not Tebow), 10-2 IS A GOOD RECORD.

This year, no one's watching us. We're sleepers, if you will. Florida gets to deal with the preseason crap. For the first time in over a year, ESPN is backing the fuck off.

You wouldn't imagine how much of a help that is.

Or maybe you can.

Either way, it was evident at preseason media day (which I got the pleasure of going to) that this year's team is a far more focused Bulldogs. Richt likes not having the hype on his team, which allows them to find their own identity, not just "No. 1." No more weaving through the traffic cones of press, as I was that day (snicker).

Talking to the players was a relief, as well. I was impressed by Joe Cox's character and comfort around so many people, two things I think Stafford was, well, undeniably, no, fucking terrible with. Quarterbacks have to be approachable and intelligent, and Cox definitely brings that to the table. He's had plenty of time to get ready for this, which also makes me confident in him. This ain't no true freshman.

After speaking with Cox, as well as A.J. Green (chilled out black dude), Rennie Curran (stocky, scary-ass black dude), Shaun Chapas (stocky, scary-ass white dude), and Geno Atkins (real-life version of Jax from Mortal Kombat), the response about the lower ranking and lack of attention was the same: they like it.

And I can see where they're coming from. Who cares about rankings and hype? There's no glam and Tebow-ness here, and I think the players realize that. It was time to stop giving a fuck about everything and just play football without worrying about rankings, preseason opinions and all the worthless crap that come with it.

Hell yeah!

Whoops, guess I was supposed to go into hockey talk here. Not enough time. Next time, friends, next time.

Class time!
-Mitch

No comments: